Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wimp to Spartan Transformation: MScan’tbelieveit’snotbutter


Spartan Crossfit Wimp to Spartan 5 from Peter Murphy on Vimeo.

Apparently, I have found an adequate training partner in a plastic dead guy, whom I’ve named Bones.  I like him: a man of few words.  He also is great for my self-confidence because he lets me win every time. 

Now that I’m doing crossfit three times a week in addition to my marathon training, I have to say that I’m definitely noticing a difference in my body and how I feel.  Also, I’m beginning to see the difference in these videos.  That feeling of strength and accomplishment that I get after workouts is addictive.  I love when Shane increases the weight.  I get to notice how far I’ve come in such a short while.  I find that I’m getting more drive from seeing and feeling the results. 

I have, however, found myself falling into some unhealthy traps, I think.  I must admit to you now that I’m an instant gratification kind of chick when it comes to diet and exercise.  When I start a new regimen, I find it impossible to stick with every time, because I don’t notice results immediately.  I’ve spoken to friends about this.  I’m not alone, but it’s still a frustrating reality. 

With regard to workouts, if I don’t feel like I’m going to throw up or I’m not uncomfortably sore the next day, I don’t feel like I worked out hard enough.  I find myself wishing that all my workouts were as hard as the one seen in the above video.  That’s insane, right?  Sometimes workouts are easier and sometimes they make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.  The reality of it is that I’m still off the couch, and I’m still making progress even if I couldn’t add five whole miles onto my long run for the week.  In theory, I get it.  In practice, it’s more difficult.  I find myself wanting to be super woman without having to go through the steps it takes to get there.

Having said that, I know for a fact that my works outs aren’t the problem.  My diet is what’s keeping me from seeing results at a remarkable rate.  I eat healthily a good majority of the time, but I have moments of weakness, especially during football season.  Go Redskins!  With food, I find myself teetering on the line of being diligent about putting healthy fuel into my body and obsessing over calories and ingredients.  I’m trying to stay realistic about it and maintain a healthy outlook, but sometimes I just go wacko.  I’m still searching for the healthy balance, and it’s not an easy treasure to find. 

Recognizing these patterns made me notice that this Wimp to Spartan Transformation is less about making over my physique and more about making me over inside and out.  I’m noticing my habits and how I get in my own way sometimes.  There are challenges along the road, like when there’s weight I can’t lift or my knee locks up half way through a long run.  With food, the challenge happens when I’m presented with a cupcake, or when football season rolls around and all I want is wings and beer.  It takes a certain mental and physical capacity to step back and say, it’s not that I’m not trying, it’s just that life got in the way today.  Tomorrow is a new day to try.  I haven’t reached the point where I can think that every time, but I’m getting there. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have enough introspection to comprehend your strengths, weaknesses, and issues. I think you have it in you to keep powering on. The blogging/accountability aspect will help with that. Onward and Upward!

    ReplyDelete