Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wimp to Spartan Transformation: TABATA!


Spartan Crossfit Wimp to Spartan 10 from Peter Murphy on Vimeo.

When we filmed this, I had just recently returned from doing the Beast a couple of days before.  For at least two days after the Beast, I couldn’t move.  Considering that, I must say, that I look pretty mobile in this video.  Shane had me doing chin-ups, which are AWESOME!  I must admit to you, that chin-ups make me feel way more badass then pullups.  Also, let me reiterate, how I love giant office supplies (the rubber bands).


We did some Tabata.  Anyone who has ever talked to me knows that I LOVE me some Tabata.  I was turned onto it when Shawty Spartan (Carrie Adams) put together a marathon training schedule for me.  Once a week (sometimes twice when I was feeling like a BAMF) I would do Tabata training.  When it comes to running, I did 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest, repeat for 4 minutes, jog it out for a minute and then go again for a total of 20 minutes.  This exercise exhausts me!  Like on the floor, drag me home by my hair cave-man style exhausted.  However, the results are incredible and immediately noticeable.  My understanding behind the physical benefits of Tabata training is that it helps your body/ muscles use oxygen more effectively and efficiently.  Carrie, correct me if I’m wrong.  So apply that concept to my WOD in the video.  Anyway, I love them.  So when Shane had me doing Sandbag clean Tabatas, even though I was confused at first, I got really excited.  Also, thanks to Katy McCabe, I LOVE sandbags now.  The Tabata situps were fine.  I’m beginning to think that behind my “tallboy” (it’s not really a keg, but it’s not six pack, so can we call it a tallboy?)  I've got some serious ab strength going on. 

I also did Tabata burpees: hot diggity damn.  Joe D would LOVE these.  I’m beginning to think that Tabata burpees should ACTUALLY be the Spartan burpees.  As I’m sure you’ll notice in the video, they broke me.  I could no longer jump myself forward, as one should do in burpee/ squat thrust (we use them interchangeably, even though they are, in fact, different exercises) reps.  Not that you needed any more proof of exhaustion, but if you’ll notice, I had no control over my words during the post work-out interview thing.

I’m surprised at how chipper I was after this work out.  Though, I must say, since I started working for Spartan, I LOVE working out.  Bring on the blood, sweat and tears! AROO!

No comments:

Post a Comment