Friday, October 28, 2011

Wimp to Spartan Transformation: I’m so NOT always late


Spartan Crossfit Wimp to Spartan 12 from Peter Murphy on Vimeo.

Part of today’s blog post is an open letter to the Metro Transit Authority of New York City.

Dear MTA,

Get your shizz together; I’ve got working out to do.

Sincerely,
MScan


Anyway, so after overcoming some serious public transit obstacles like slow walkers, slow stair climbers, and A COMPLETE BREAK DOWN OF THE 4 TRAIN, I got to Crossfit South Brooklyn.  I started by doing some backsquats.  Then, I learned how to bench press.  Before this lesson, I thought that bench pressing was what “tough” guys who didn't want to do cardio did to seem impressive.  WRONG! O… I was so very wrong.  The mechanics of a bench press are wackadoo, and for people on the shorter side of humanity a little embarrassing.  If you’ll notice in the video, when I bench press for the first time, I do a move that I called the Puffin.  The “Puffin” is a sudden puffing of the chest caused by the pushing together of one’s shoulder blades.  It looks ridiculous, but is completely necessary for bench pressing.  Now, once Shane ads the BAMF weights, I’m sure you’ll notice that there are also weights beneath my feet.  This is because my legs are too short to reach the floor, so I needed something to elevated on which to firmly plant my feet.  Embarrassing.  So, also as I explain from my tire throne, I’m totally stoked to be that ridiculous person who brags about how much I can bench… ahem, my ex-boyfriend…. Ahem, you know who you are…

So I bench pressed and then erged, which I hate.  We moved onto slam balls.  L-O-V-E these!  They are quite simply productive temper tantrums.  Someone please get me one of these balls so that when I have a rough day at work I can just slam it into the ground repeatedly while chanting the names of the nitwits I encountered that day.  This exercise alone made me feel better about my MTA issues.  It’s magical, and I highly recommend it.  

The workout wasn’t the hardest we had done, but the next day… o boy did my arms loath and abhor me.  Worry not, dear readers, I apologized and told them that I love them, and we have since been on pretty good terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment