Friday, December 9, 2011

Wimp to Spartan Transformation: Filthy 50... Not the age...


Spartan Crossfit Wimp to Spartan 16 from Peter Murphy on Vimeo.

For those of you who don't know, the filthy 50, when done correctly is a one set of 50 reps of everything Shane could think of: wall-ball, burpees (please feel free to pause the video at 00:31 and check out that shoulder definition-- send me a hardcopy of the screen shot and I will happily autograph it for you), double-under ATTEMPTS (I'm getting much better at them), box-jump Ninja training, jump-pull-ups, kettlebell swings and others.



I would like to discuss jump-pull-ups, because I have thought it over for quite some time now, and I still don't see the point of them.  I felt like a froggy yo-yo.  The way these work (since you can't see them in the vid) is that you get on a very tall box, grab onto the pull-up bar and squat down until your arms are straight.  This is your starting position.  From here, you jump-up until your chin has passed the pull-up bar, and you let gravity take you back down into the squat, but your hands never leave the pull-up bar.  Can you envision it yet?  How could I NOT feel like a froggy yo-yo?  I'm sure it was working some muscle groups that I'm completely unaware of, but there was no inexcusable soreness in places that made me question my anatomy the following day, so I'm thinking that Shane just had me do that for his own comedic viewing pleasure. 

As an aside, much better workout outfit in this one. Also, I've come to appreciate simple workouts that are easy to remember while doing them.  Something about constantly having to look at the whiteboard to figure out what comes next annoys me.  Take this workout for example 50 of everything is super easy to remember!  I'm a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment